Sunday, May 17, 2009

Kaiser Rolls

I've been thinking about making these for a while. I'm not really sure why. I have some sort of fantasy about eating a really good sandwich?

Anyways, yeah, I made these tonight. The formula is from the Bread Baker's Apprentice. The dough made six buns, but by the time I got around to photographing them there were ONLY FIVE LEFT. They are even more delicious than they look. I just ate another one.

Comments about actually making this bread... It's fairly straight-forward. The dough is just an enriched white bread that you cut up into bits and shape like buns. And the shaping is super easy: roll about 4 ounces of dough into a long strip (I had to roll it out a bit, let it relax for a few minutes, and then roll again, but that's not a big deal.), then tie the strip into a knot and poke the ends in towards the middle so it kind of looks like a bun. The only problem I ran into is that my baking sheet wasn't big enough for all six. So I baked four and tossed the other two in the fridge to avoid over proofing them. Then after the first batch was done, I let the second batch warm up at room temperature for about ten minutes before baking them. I have no idea if this was actually a good idea or not, but the results are delicious, so, whatever.

Can you spot the other deliciousness...?



Done!

1 comment:

  1. I can spot the other deliciousness! Also, are there any of these hanging around still, or did you eat them all? And did you use an egg wash?

    ReplyDelete