Wednesday, May 13, 2009

BBA Challenge: Anadama

So the folks over at pinchmysalt are organizing a little challenge to bake all the breads in Peter Reinhart's Bread Baker's Apprentice. Sounds easy enough, so I signed up (but I haven't heard anything else about it yet... Oh well.) Assuming that we're rocking this alphabetical styles, I baked Anadama bread last night.

This was some efficient bread baking. After kneading the dough, I went longboarding. I rode some mellowish hills and worked on toe side stand ups and early grabs. I knew I'd be out for longer than the expected rise time, so I opened the window and left it on the window sill; it was a cool night. When I got home it had risen about the right amount. Then during proofing I went out for a pint of Mill Street Cobblestone Stout at the Communist's Daughter. As usual, the hipsters were out in full force. I came home, baked it, and pulled this out of the oven a while later.







I have no idea what Anadama bread is supposed to taste like, so I don't really know how this bread turned out... I don't really like it though. The flavour of the molasses is kind of over-powering. Peter does mention in the recipe that you want to go for a lighter-flavoured molasses for this bread, so maybe that's why it doesn't taste super fantastic? (This was the first time I had ever bought molasses, so I may or may not have purchased one with a lighter flavour...) Also, I halved the recipe, so maybe that screwed things up?

Next!

1 comment:

  1. Ooooooh. The molasses might have had something to do with it, but I'm not sure if I've ever seen light molasses... What's next?

    ReplyDelete