Sunday, May 24, 2009

BBA Challenge: Artos Greek Celebration Bread

Oh man...

I made my *first* one of these this afternoon. Unfortunately, I tossed it in the oven with the plastic wrap from the proofing stage still on it. Oops. I wasn't so upset because I'd also forgotten to put the almond extract in...

Round two!

I remade the poolish, but didn't let it sit overnight, I just used it after letting it do its thing for about 4 hours. I made the dough with *all* the ingredients including the lemon extract, removed the plastic wrap before baking, tossed on some glaze after it came out of the oven, and ended up with this:



You can see my "collection" in the background...

I don't know how it tastes yet, it's still cooling. I'll let you know.

In other news: My starter grew! I now have a whole wheat mother starter (made using the pineapple juice solution from PR's Whole Grain Breads). I might try and make something with it tomorrow.

Update:

It tastes pretty good! As Hannah pointed out, it kind of tastes like a hot cross bun. I don't think I'll be in a rush to make this bread again though. I'm just not that into enriched white flour breads. I don't like making them because they have so many freaking ingredients that I feel like I'm baking a cake. And they do taste great! But it's just not my favourite type of bread to eat. But that's the point of this challenge, right? Try it and see if it's awesome.

3 comments: