Sunday, November 29, 2009

Stretch and fold and a bit of rye

I've heard about 'stretch and fold', a method which allows you to develop dough without having to knead it. I came across a tutorial on it and decided to give it a shot.

I made PR's BBA basic sourdough, straight from (whole wheat) starter/"barm" (no firm starter) using mostly white flour and a bit of rye. I leant my scale to a friend, so I was working by volume; consequently I'm not really sure what the hydration was, but I think it was a bit on the high side.

Stretch and fold is definitely way less work than kneading! Unfortunately, I don't think the three stretch and folds mixed the dough well enough. You can still see some streaks in the crumb where the starter isn't fully incorporated with the flours. I also think it's a bit under-baked. But whatever. It tastes pretty good and I really like the addition of the rye!

No comments:

Post a Comment