Sunday, June 21, 2009

Sourdough

I haven't been keeping up with the BBA Challenge lately. The bread this week, challah, just didn't excite me. And I missed the casatiello last week, which I'm quite looking forward to. But today I just felt like making a regular loaf of bread.

I kind of followed the basic sourdough recipe in PR's BBA. I used 5 oz of my firm, whole wheat starter (I've created a white flour 100% hydration starter too, but it doesn't seem to be doing as well as the whole wheat one...), 10 (ish) oz of really nice white flour (from Mountain Path which I picked up yesterday), a teaspoon of salt, and about 6.5 oz of water. Mix, knead a bunch, wait 3ish hours, shape, wait 2ish hours, bake for 20ish minutes at 450F, steam at the beginning (although I lowered the temperature to about 375F after about 15 minutes because it was starting to get pretty dark). And here's what I got:



In just a few minutes I'm off to a Summer solstice picnic in Trinity Bellwoods Park, so I'll find out how it tastes then!

1 comment: