Sunday, June 7, 2009

BBA Challenge: Brioche

I made the "rich man's" version of brioche. It has a lot of butter in it. 87ish percent of the weight of the flour! I made this in one day. After mixing the dough, I retarded it for about four hours, which is the minimum recommended time (it can also be left over night). I also didn't do a very good job of shaping it. The dough is super greasy and not much fun to work with. I ended up with a loaf that was a bit bigger on one end than the other (see Figure 1 below). Oh well...

It smells overpoweringly like pastry in the apartment right now, but we'll have to wait until tomorrow to see what it tastes like.



In other news, the sourdough starter didn't get so much to eat while I was out of town... I fed it this afternoon, and there were some signs of life. I fed it again tonight; if it's bigger by morning we might have saved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment